Contact Us

205 South Lincoln Ave.
Beaver Dam, WI 53916
Get Directions
  • Phone: 
    (920) 887-4600


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-42 of 42
What do I do if I cannot pay my fine by the due date?
If your fine is not paid by the due date there are several collection processes that may be used.
What is the summer constant level of Beaver Dam Lake?
Remain at elevation 88:30
What are levy limits?
Levy limits restrict how much revenue a city may raise through local property taxes.
What types of activities do I need a building permit for?
New building construction, a new shed, deck, swimming pool, fence additions remodeling interior and exterior.
Do I need a burning permit?
Limited burning is allowed in the City of Beaver Dam with certain restrictions. See "Can I burn in the City of Beaver Dam" for further details. Burning is also allowed outside of the Beaver Dam city limits. Only residents of the Town of Beaver Dam and Lowell are required to obtain a permit. Residents of the Towns of Calamus, Westford, and Trenton are not required to have permits. All residents in the Beaver Dam Fire District are required to advise the Beaver Dam Fire Department at 887-4609 prior to burning to avoid false fire calls to your address by concerned neighbors or passing cellular callers. If unsafe burning conditions exist, you will be advised at the time you call. Town of Beaver Dam residents can contact the Town Hall at 887-0791 for information on obtaining a permit. Town of Lowell residents can contact any Town Supervisor or the Town Clerk at 927-3311 for information regarding permits. Residents in the Town of Lowell, but not in the Beaver Dam Fire District, are asked to contact the Dodge County Sheriffs Department at 386-3726 prior to burning to avoid false fire calls to your address. Burning in all areas should be limited to cardboard, paper, wood, leaves, brush, grass, etc. Garbage, plastics, rubber, and other caustics or chemicals are not to be burned.
Can I burn in the City of Beaver Dam?
Yes, with certain restrictions. Gas grills, charcoal grills, and woodburning grills for the purposes of cooking are allowed. If you are using a woodburning grill, only dry, non-treated, wood may be used. No burning of construction materials, garbage, lawn clippings, brush, or other yard waste is permitted. Many apartment complexes offer an outdoor deck for residents to use. For the safety of people and property, no grills can be used above the ground floor or on or near (within 10 feet) of any combustible deck, porch, or patio of multi-family (3 families or more) dwellings. If you live in an apartment, please help keep you and your neighbors safe by using your grill at the ground level and away from the building. Recreational fires may also be used with restrictions. A "recreational fire" is defined as a small campfire confined to pits, portable fire pits, and portable fireplaces. All firepits and fireplace units may only be used on concrete or other non-combustible surfaces. The use of a unit on a wooden deck, porch, patio, or under an overhang is prohibited. No portable outdoor fireplace or firepit may be located within 15 feet of any building or combustible structure or beneath any balcony, stairway or similar outdoor projection. Only the burning of dry, non-treated wood is acceptable. Material for recreational fires shall not include rubbish, garbage, recyclable items, trash, any material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather, or petroleum based materials, and shall not contain any flammable or combustible liquids. No construction materials, garbage, brush, lawn clippings, or other yard waste is permitted. The fire must be attended at all times by at least one responsible person of age 18 or older and the fire must be completely extinguished before it is left unsupervised. In an effort to respect our neighbors, if a neighboring property owner complains about smoke from the fire, the fire must be extinguished immediately. If you rent or lease the property, you must have signed documentation from the legal property owner giving permission to have a recreational fire on that property. The property owner and/or person who started any recreational fire shall hold the City of Beaver Dam harmless from any and all liability for any damage caused by a recreational fire. Any person who starts or maintains a recreational fire shall pay any and all costs incurred by the fire department for any service related call or damage as a result of a recreational fire.
Who can I contact about ambulance fees?
The Beaver Dam Fire Department contracts with an outside service for ambulance billing services. Questions regarding fees charged for ambulance can be directed to: Lifequest N2930 Hwy 22 Wautoma, WI 54982 Phone 800-786-4911
Does my building need a lock box (Knox Box) for emergency access?
There are many types of structures that require a key lock box. The goal is to obtain rapid entry to the structure and quickly suppress any fire, access a fire alarm panel or suppression system, or quickly deal with a medical emergency without having to force entry, damage the building, or delay a response causing further damage. The system in use by the Beaver Dam Fire Department is the Knox Box System. You can view the company website at Structures that require a Knox Box in the City of Beaver Dam include: any commercial or industrial structure that have an automatic alarm or suppression system or that are secured in a manner to restrict access during an emergency, any multi-family residential structure that has restricted access through locked doors and have a common corridor for access to the living units, any governmental structures or elderly care facilities, and any public or private educational institutions. While these are the required buildings, all others are highly encouraged to install a box for emergency access. The minutes saved by gaining quick access can mean a life or thousands of dollars of property may be saved. Contact the Fire Chief or a Fire Inspector at 887-4609 during regular business hours for more information.
If I need emergency Public Works assistance after hours, whom do I contact?
The Department answering machine, 920-887-4635, will refer you to the Police Dept. Dispatcher at 920-887-4612. This is for EMERGENCIES ONLY. Appropriate on-call personnel will return your emergency call. If you wish, a message may be left on the answering machine for a return call from the Department personnel on the next business day.
What are Public Work's office hours?
7:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, closed on Holidays. Of course we also work when Mother Nature requires, such as plowing during and after snowstorms.
Are there any materials available for pickup at the Public Works Garage?
Yes, during regular business hours only, City Residents only, can pick up wood chips, compost (when available), and very small quantities of sand/salt mixture, at no charge. Blacktop patch material is also available, but, at a cost due to its' expense. All citizens that want blacktop patch must stop at the office before removing material to identify quantity and make payment.
Whom do I contact to report a street light that is out?
Light fixtures on wood poles are maintained by Alliant Energy at 1-800-852-6222. You may also report problems to the Dept. of Public Works, who will relay the problem to Alliant Energy for you. Ornamental lighting (fixtures on metal poles) are maintained by the Public Works Dept. Report them to us by calling 920-887-4635, or use the online form, "Report a Street Light Problem" found in the Action Center of this website.
Who picks up my solid waste (garbage & recyclables)?
Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia Environmental Services) is currently under contract to provide curbside collection of recyclable and non-recyclable waste (garbage) to residential units, up to and including 4 unit apartment buildings only. No service is provided for other than this residential classification. The Public Works Dept. collects yard waste, i.e. brush, leaves and garden waste for the same residential classification only. Waste regulations are posted in the "Garbage & Rubbish Collection Rules" and "Yard Waste Recycling Rules", found in the Garbage & Rubbish page of the Public Works webpage.
When is my garbage picked up if my pickup day is a holiday?
Normally, on the following week day. There are some exceptions though as Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia Environmental Services), the City's waste collection contractor, does not observe all holidays the same as the City does, i.e. Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Press releases are utilized to inform residents of the revised schedule, including local news paper and radio station.
Who do I contact for questions or problems related to recyclable or garbage (non-recyclables) waste collection?
For other than yard waste, call the City's Contractor first, Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia Environmental Services), at 1-800-387-0949. If not satisfied with their response, call or email the Dept. of Public Works office. For yard waste related issues, call or email the Dept. of Public Works office.
When may I place my trash at the curb for collection?
No more than 24 hours prior to your scheduled collection day. Also, rejected violations and/or empty carts must be removed from street-side or alleys within 24 hours of the collection day.
Who do I contact for curb alterations or driveway approach modification information?
The Public Works Supervisor, as listed in the Staff Directory.
Is it allowed to place a construction waste dumpster temporarily in the street parking lane?
Yes, under certain conditions. You must first contact the Public Works Dept. office for permission and instructions.
Who do I contact to arrange for underground utilities to be located and marked?
Call Digger's Hotline at least 3 days before planned excavation at 1-800-242-8511.
How will the downtown redevelop without a lot of taxpayer money?
There's a Kevin Costner film named "Field of Dreams" where the theme is "If we build it, they will come." As individual parties invest in their properties (Water Technology, Stooges, Celestial Companies, InterQuest, Rogers Cinemas, Dos Gringos, Mane Stage, and others, momentum builds. Soon, it is a desirable place to be. If the city updates the streetscape, the utilities, and other facilities, it attracts additional investment. The recent announcement of the Weyco project is a huge boost to the whole area. Ultimately, it takes people willing to spend money in the area that makes it prosper; we think this will happen if we foster the right environment.
What are the hours of the yard waste drop-off site at the Public Works Garage?
7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, closed on Holidays.
Is the yard waste drop-off site ever open on Saturdays?
Yes, during announced dates in April through November, the site is open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays, closed on Holidays. Saturday hours for 2018 began on Saturday April 7th and will continue through Saturday, November 17, 2018.
Can any other waste be disposed of at the yard waste drop-off site at the City Garage?
Yes, waste engine oil, certain approved rough metal items, minor amounts of concrete chunks and other small amounts of unwanted yard generated materials, subject to approval by site attendant. NO garbage,appliances containing refrigerants or microwaves are accepted.
Do I need a building permit to replace my windows?
If you are keeping the windows the same size, no. If you are enlarging or reducing the size of the windows, yes.
Do I need a permit for a detached shed with no foundation?
Yes. The building department is required to inform the property owner of any required setbacks from the property line.
Is there any time when other waste can be disposed of at the Public Works Garage?
Yes, on the first Wednesday of every month from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. and the third Saturday of every month, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, City Residents only can dispose of excess garbage and "bulk waste" as described in the Garbage & Rubbish Collection Rules. A truck which is manned by an Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia) employee is parked at the south end of Myrtle Rd. for this service. This opportunity to dispose of excess garbage that will not fit in your Advanced (Veolia) cart for the weekly pickup and to dispose of bulk items is provided in addition to the two curbside bulk collections provided on your first garbage pickup day of May and October each year.
Can anyone utilize the drop-off site?
No, the site is available to City Residents only. No waste of any kind is accepted from outside the City limits, including the Town of Beaver Dam. Users should be prepared to show proof of residency upon request. Also, no waste is accepted from Contractor activity.
Why would I need a building permit to reduce the size of my windows?
Because, the State of WI minimum housing code requires that a habitable room have 8% of natural light.
Do I need a building permit for a detached shed with no foundation?
Yes. The building department is required to inform the property owner of any required setbacks from the property line.
Which day is my brush collected street-side?
During the months of April through November only, curbside brush chipping is performed on each residents first waste collection day of the month only. Exceptions are made if residents experience storm related tree damage. Call or email the Public Works office for special instructions if this occurs.
When are leaves collected street-side?
Leaf collection begins at an announced date in October and continues through an announced date in late November. There is no Spring leaf collection.
Does leaf collection follow regular daily waste collection routes?
No. It is impossible to keep up with scheduled waste collection routes due to volume of leaves. Collection begins on one side of the City and sweeps across to the other side in a never ending cycle, once collection begins. The starting point depends on the volume of leaves present.
Can I turn right at a red light while northbound near Culver's Restaurant?
No, for two reasons: First, Culver's driveway is not a public street, and second, to get to the driveway you'd have to actually run the red light, which is of course a problem. Best to wait for a green.
Is the recently announced Weyco development a sure thing?
It has very high odds for completion and success, yes. The developers are now (May-July '07) in their investigative phase, including such things as environmental reviews. If everything stays on track, they will close on the properties in July, 2007.
Where do I pay my Water/Wastewater Utility Bill?
Payments may be mailed in, brought to the Finance Department, or dropped in drop box located at the rear of the building by the entrance door at 205 S. Lincoln Ave.
Where should I place my garbage and recycling carts for collection?
Carts should be placed at the edge of the tree border area, not in the street. Carts must face the street, as indicated by the arrow on the cart. Carts must be fully accessible and cannot be blocked by parked vehicles.
Can I place my garbage and recycling carts in the street for collection when there is snow on the tree border area?
No. Carts are never to be placed in the street for collection. You can place your carts at the edge of your driveway approach or shovel out a space in your tree border area for the carts. Carts cannot be placed in the street because this would cause a hazard for drivers and would interfere with snow plowing efforts. If carts are in the street, plows have to swerve out and leave plowed snow in the street, rather than plowing to the curb.
What are the regulations for residents for clearing sidewalks of snow & ice?
City Ordinance requires that any snow or ice accumulations on public sidewalks, including sidewalk ramps at the intersections for those properties on corner lots, be removed each day following any acculmulation. Ice accumulations that cannot be removed must be sprinkled with a material which will prevent the sidewalk from being dangerous to pedestrians. The requirement to also clear the sidewalk ramps for corner properties is effective as of December 2018, as per an Ordinance Amendment. City residents can pick up small quantities of a sand/salt mixture at the City Garage, 640 S. Center St. for their sidewalks. The sand/salt mixture is located in a concrete bunker outside the northerly gate, available 24 hours a day. Violations of this Ordinance will result in the City removing the snow or treating the ice, with the costs to do so assessed against the owner of the property. Property owners are encouraged to inform tenants of their property of this requirement, as again, enforcement action is assessed to the property owner, not the tenant.
Who clears the snow from around fire hydrants?
The Fire Department asks residents to remove snow from around the fire hydrants. Residents are asked to shovel out snow three feet around the hydrant and to shovel a path to the street.
Where can I take my old fire extinguisher?
Hammes Fire & Safety services extinguishers. They are at 1008 Declark St. 920-885-9333
Is the use of fireworks permitted within the City of Beaver Dam?
The City of Beaver Dam Fire Prevention Code, 30.17.2 states, It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, expose or offer for sale, use, keep, discharge or explode any firecrackers, blank cartridges, contrivances using explosive caps or cartridges, display wheels, torpedoes, sky rockets, Roman candles, aerial salutes, American or Chinese bombs, or any fireworks of like construction, or any fireworks containing any explosive of flammable compound, or any tablets or other devises commonly used and sold as fireworks containing nitrates , chlorates, oxalates, sulfides of lead, barium, antimony, arsenic, mercury, nitroglycerine phosphorus or any compound containing any of the same or other modern explosives, within the City of Beaver Dam, except as hereinafter provided.
Do you sell Fire Department Patches?
Yes. You may purchase a patch for $5.00. The pictured challenge coin is available for $9.00. Email Chief Mannel with your request to or call with your request and information at 920-887-4609 ext. 1 or send a letter with payment to Beaver Dam Fire Department Patch Request, 205 S. Lincoln Ave. Beaver Dam, WI 53916.
Results 1-42 of 42